[Zope] Interbase DB

Chris Beaumont cbeaumon@msri.org
Thu, 04 May 2000 18:37:20 -0700

A ZopeDA for Interbase..I really hope so...

Id also be very interested. Ive been using Interbase for only a few
weeks now, and I'm *very* impressed.
It is way ahead (for my purposes, at least) of anything else available
on Linux through any kind of open-source license.

I think Interbase was the first RDBMS to support BLOBs (binary objects)
and it is the first *open-source* database to reliably support
referential integrity, triggers and stored procedures.. (like the
well-known commercial offerings, which Interbase was until a few months
ago.) It has a reputation for being *extremely* stable and it is a very
mature and well-engineered product. (It used to be owned by DEC, from
what I understand, before they were assimilated by Compaq.) It is
currently owned by Corel/Inprise. (I am pretty sure)

I'm a newbie to SQL (and Zope) but now that I am building my first
full-sized SQL project, I can see that key features like foreign
keys/referential integrity are very important in any kind of serious SQL
work. I started this project thinking I would use MySQL, but I quickly
realized that MySQL couldnt handle the foreign key construct I was
assuming I could use..  I guess I could have added extra tables to my
design to simulate foreign keys in MySQL, but when I heard about
Interbase, I was overjoyed. After deciding on Interbase then I went
looking for some middleware to connect my database to the Web, and guess
where I ended up after a *lot* of research.. here... Like Interbase,
Zope is perfect for what I have planned for my project.

There has been a fair amount of discussion of Zope over on the Interbase
list, and I and everyone else I have spoken to that knows anything about
these things agrees, the two are natural partners.

Chris Beaumont
webmaster, MSRI
www.msri.org