[Zope] Interbase DB

Ian Sparks Ian Sparks" <isparks@wmute.u-net.com
Fri, 5 May 2000 18:42:54 +0100

This may not help at all but I know there is a Perl interface to Interbase -
saw it at www.interbase.com a while back.

Can I ask why the interest in Interbase over, say, PostgreSQL

I've been using Interbase on NT for a few years now. It's stable, zero
maintenance, hard-to-kill and has decent features like triggers, stored
procedures etc. The one thing that lets it down is the built-in functions -
you really need to get a User Defined Functions (UDF) library from day 0 and
install it to do any sort of date manipulation for instance. My problem with
this is that it makes your DB code hard to port between platforms - that UDF
lib you use on NT won't work on Linux - esp. since UDF libs are often
written in Delphi and thus tied to Win32 (at least until Kylix is released).

I also notice that Interbase don't seem to offer a free version to NT
users - that's because they have so many NT customers who already bought
licences who will want refunds!

One final notice is that Interbase only became Open Source after its key
members of its development team walked out in protest over the way that the
parent company was pushing (or not) the product. How can Interbase.com turn
this crisis into an opportunity? OpenSource it!

- Ian Sparks.