[Zope] <znewb010> agitprop = How to find 'find' ??? </znewb010>

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Sat, 06 May 2000 23:51:35 -0400

Jason,

Here's what I do:

- I keep archives of the mail list in text files on my hard drive (you
can download the archived text files from
http://www.zope.org/Resources/MailingLists -- click on the [archive]
link next to each mail list).

- When I need to figure out a syntax issue I'm not sure about, I grep
this archive rather than trying to page through the DTML guide/SQL
guide/etc.

Though I've not used it there is also a PDF version of all the howtos
gathered together at
http://www.zope.org/Members/AlexR/All-Zope-Howtos.zip.  Having this
document locally to search through might be easier than searching
Zope.org for the answers.

I came across the same issues when I first encountered Zope (see
http://www.zope.org/Members/mcdonc/HowTos/gainenlightenment).  I'm still
frustrated a lot of times by how hard it is to find information, and I
work for the company who makes the thing.

I think there are two main factors causing our frustration:

- It's been conceded many, many times that Zope documentation is
seriously lacking.  Part of documentation is presentation and
organization.  Finding stuff is hard due to spotty documentation whose
holes have been (thankfully) filled in by community members in a variety
of forums -- HowTos, email posts, their own personal home pages, the ZDP
project, and most lately, an ever-growing number of Wikis.  Obviously,
having so much information spread across so many different places makes
it much harder to find an answer to specific questions.  Consolidating
this information is *hard*.  The ZDP has been doing a pretty great job
of scoping out a presentation skeleton on their portal and taking on the
Herclean task of filling that skeleton in with useful information.  Amos
and Michel have been making progress on DC's Documentation Project as
well (http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Projects/Projects).  Personally,
I'm leaning towards agreeing with Maik that we should make ZDP the
primary source for Zope docs, integrating it into Zope.org somehow.  But
this requires time on both sides, and both DC and the ZDP group are
lacking it.  We don't want to do something that we know we can't sustain
in the long term.  As broken as documentation is right now, it's highly
available and loosely maintained.  It's definitely, however, not well
organized.

- Zope is huge.  It's a webserver, a content management system, a search
engine, an object database, an application server, and an
object-oriented web development framework.  It provides the full
services of two server-side programming languages as well as allowing
for client-side presentation through HTML, XML, CSS, WAP, etc.  It
provides services over HTTP, XML-RPC, FTP, and WebDAV.  It lets you
arbitrarily connect to Oracle, Sybase, Informix, Solid, ODBC, MySQL, and
Postgres databases.  It has a security system that allows arbitrary
users to write code through the web.  User-contributed products extend
Zope to deliver features DC never even thought about.  Granted, not all
of these things are documented as well as we would like.  But, even if
they were, it would *still* be hard to learn because its scope is just
so broad.

Digital Creations employs now something like... 28 people.  Or something
like that.  Every one of those people is a fanatic about Zope.  We hear
what you're saying.  Everybody from the salespeople to the COO
acknowledges that documentation and documentation organization is a
problem.  We've committed resources to help alleviate the problem.  But
we need help!  I encourage you, if you like Zope and you can afford it,
to get involved in the ZDP.

If you *can't* afford it, and you just need to do fairly simple things
(and I hate to say this), you just *might* be better off using something
simpler like PHP or ASP or what-have-you that have much narrower scopes
and are therefore a little less time-consuming to learn the ins-and-outs
of.