[Zope] Postgresql support on Zope

Richard Moon richard@dcs.co.uk
Mon, 08 May 2000 13:04:23 +0100

>Mmm, yes that brings me to the Interbase topic. At the moment I'm looking
>if I can use Interbase instead of PostGresSQL, because i'm only aware of a
>PostGresSQL client running on Windows, not a PostGresSQL server.

There is a binary for the NT version of the server, but as I say it needs
Cygwin, there are no clear instructions on how to install it (only on how
to compile from source) and I have given up at present - I'm about to dive
into the PostgreSQL mailing lists to see if anything comes up.

>  Yes, I
>know, some people now start thinking, why do you need it on windows? Well,
>some customers work on Linux, so no problem, other just only want
>windows... and therefor I'm looking at Interbase, because it runs on both.
>
>Tom.

Well I need it on Windows because some clients prefer it that way. I cannot
tell my clients they are wrong if they choose NT - it may do everything
they want.

Zope is extremely easy to install on NT  and has run very reliably in a
real-world installation. The Windows-only ODBC DA makes it the platform of
choice if you need ODBC. If we could find a decent open-source database
that ran as well as Zope cross platform that would be brilliant and if
Interbase gets there before PostgreSQL that's the way I'll be going.

I'd also like an Informix DA if anybody feels so inclined :-)

Richard

Richard Moon
richard@dcs.co.uk