[Zope] IE Auth failures, NS works fine

Ingo Assenmacher ingo.assenmacher@post.rwth-aachen.de
Tue, 9 May 2000 01:08:58 +0200

Hi.
 I think it is definitly a GUF Problem (raising unauthorised).
I looked up the Zope-Response when trying to access a resource that is protected by GUF authorization:
(Z2.log)

v.b.n.m - - [08/May/2000:23:55:47 +0200] "GET /x/y/ HTTP/1.1" 500 2249 "" "Mozilla/4.0 (compati
ble; MSIE 5.0; Windows 98; DigExt)"

See the Response Code in the HTTP-Header. It is '500', which, according to the specs at www.w3c.org is:

10.5.1 500 Internal Server Error
The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.

(see:
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.5.1
)

BUT: The response size is about 2249 bytes. That is most probably the login-form. Netscape does show this (so does IE3/4).
The next request does contain necessary authorization information so the unauthorised is no longer raised.
You can, alternatively provide username and authentication with:

/x/y?_gufauth_name=name&_gufauth_password=pwd

which does work with IE5 also.

I will dig into the GUF code tomorrow.

Regards, Ingo.

P.S.: I do not know if this if avoidable by simply adjust IE settings.