[Zope] <znewb010> agitprop = How to find 'find' ??? </znewb010>

Jason Cunliffe Jason Cunliffe" <jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Tue, 9 May 2000 00:23:27 -0400

well its hotter than hell still in the city today...

Thanks to all who replied to my post on documentation and search woes.. more
food for thought..
Some good tips and plenty of motivation to me personally to become more
pro-active towards the Zope Documentation Project. My skills are as designer
and struggling user wanabeezopepro.

It seems pretty much essential that ZDP becomes THE site for Zope docs.

I wonder How many people here would be willing to contribute say $25 towards
ZDP? I would...

Likewise that links be revised and added at zope.org wherever possible as
soon as possible, unless there are some hiddenagenda politics here I did not
care to grok

Meanwhile  I suggest:

1: Put a clear link to ZDP on the left hand 'Zope Exits' margin along with
Zope Newbies, Technocrats etc..

2. Include ZDP link also on the 'Resources' page.
(I still constantly find the Zope site naming confusing - mixing up
'Resources' and 'Documentation'.)

3.  make sure there are good links from several places to
http://www.zope.org/Members/AlexR/All-Zope-Howtos.zip.

imho the zope.org site is confusing for several key reasons:

a. There is no site map or overview giving one a central grasp of what is
here and offering a _brief_ description and link to it.
[Map | Search | Download | Documentation | Resources | Members ]

b. There is a real design function confusion between the use of the Zope.org
Main Navbar on top and the margin menu/local navbar on the left.
Why do the Zope exits carry through all pages...  since these are 'Exits'
why provide constant access to them? Why not put them instead on a single
descriptive page which can always be linked by a single link on Top called
'Exits'.
[Map | Search | Download | Documentation | Resources | Members | Exits]

(Personally I love ZopeNewbies site and check it everyday for the great
links and news there.)
At least use a different color  type. Nice to add a thumbnail of each site
so that it is visibly clear these are sites and not just more zope.org pages

c. The menu on left is useful as it does change by context, but it suffers
because there is no feedback or link between the top menu navbar [Map |
Search | Download | Documentation | Resources | Members | Exits]

d. there is no graphic design or distinction applied to the various main
sections.
Even a mimimal change in background color would be useful.

e. The left hand menu items change in text but need a clear head which
corresponds to the main choice selected - some feedback to say where I am.

f. More seriously the left hand Menu looks at first glance like a 'frame'
but since it moves along with the page itself, then it is truly a margin. AS
such it COULD be really useful - with links down its length next to the
text.
Else make fake frames using tables.

- Jason