[Zope] Python Classes vs. ZClasses

Eric L. Walstad Eric@Walstads.net
Mon, 08 May 2000 22:06:43 -0700

Hi All,

I'm setting out on my first "real" Zope Application and am trying to figure
out ahead of time which is best for my situation: Python Classes or ZClasses
(or maybe both or maybe neither!?).

-  The objects will need to be able to read/write records from/to a MySQL
database as well as write to a text file on the server (the text file will
be used as input to an existing C++ App).
-  The user will need to have the ability to create new objects (and
therefore new DB records) from the web interface as well as enter data to
fill the objects' properties.
-  The root (top of the object hierarchy) will need a method that will call
a C++ app on the server and retrieve the results of this call, which will
then be displayed to the user in a web page.

I've experimented with using Zope with MySQL, which is great, but I need to
set up an object hierarchy which can be encapsulated into a Zope Product or
some such thing.

Here are a few questions that come to mind:
1.  Do I need to create a Zope-ish hierarchy and just copy the data into the
MySQL db?
2.  Is there a way to tie MySQL records into Zope or Python objects so that
I don't have to duplicate data between Data.fs and MySQL?
3.  If so, what is the technology called so I can start studying it?

I feel like this is probably a common hurdle that most of you have already
cleared.  I've got the general specification clear in my head (and on
paper), but I need some guidance on the best implementation.

As usual, any leads are greatly appreciated.

TIA,  Eric.