[Zope] Tables???

jeffr@odeon.net jeffr@odeon.net
Tue, 9 May 2000 16:26:16 -0500 (CDT)

	I've actually got something similar.  What I decided to do
	is use an external database (Postgres in this case) and
	store all the information there.  There is a Zope product
	to allows for simple data entry into the database, and there
	is another product that allows for simple displaying of the
	information in a table.

	Editing existing records is a lot trickier (at least to my
	fledgling SQL database and Zope knowledge).  I'd guess that
	you would need to use a unigue key field, read a row of data
	and then issue an update back to the database based on the
	key field, something like:

	update table_name set column_name=new_value where key_field=x

	x would be the unique key value for the row you want to edit,
	table_name is the name of your table, and column_name is the
	name of the column containing the data you want to edit.
	You could probably make each cell in the table a link to a
	properly structured update command (based on variables in Zope's
	namespace area) fairly easily.  Ideally an anonymous user would
	just see the data, but an authenticated user with the proper
	permissions would see the links and be able to edit (at least
	for my application).

	Hopefully someone out there with a bit more knowledge can lead
	us both down a better (cleaner, easier to implement?) path...

	Jeff