[Zope] Soft References in DTML

John Morton jwm@plain.co.nz
Wed, 10 May 2000 20:34:07 +1200 (NZST)

I'm constantly running into this general problem in DTML - how do I access
an object or property who's name is given in a string?

Here's a specific problem:

I've got a Zclass product that has a string property in a sheet that's
supposed to hold the name of the prefered cascading style sheet used when
rendering the object. The name is automatically added to the header of the
html doc when rendered, like this:

<link href="<dtml-var style_sheet>" ...>

But the style sheet itself lives a few directories down from the document
being rendered so I really want the absolute URL. If I could act the
object I could do <dtml-var "css_object.absolute_url()"> - but the name
css_object (or whatever) is the value of the string style_sheet.

So how can I dereference the string?

Thank,
John