[Zope] Totally new user help request

Emory Baird emoryc@home.com
Thu, 11 May 2000 12:49:55 -0700

Thanks Chris,

I had looked at that particular how-to but when I saw the first screenshot
and instructions I assumed it was only for someone upgrading, not doing a
fresh installation.

Following the steps worked for the most part, but I think I will have to
delete the zope directory and start from scratch.
Here are some of the issues I ran into:

- I had downloaded the .tgz file as root and when I switched to my user
account, it was in a directory that I wasn't allowed to access. Doh!

- After following the steps and typing ./install the superuser and password
scrolled past before I could write it down...

- Also during installation I got the following error message:
chmod 0711 /usr/local/zope/2-1-6/var
chmod: /usr/local/zope/2-1-6/var: Operation not permitted
I guess that I didn't do all the permissions steps properly so I'll try to
step through it again.

- when, as root, I typed ./start it seemed to work ok. I was able to see the
zope propaganda page and when I tried to enter the /manage directory it
prompted me for the password. Here again I think I typed something wrong
because the password I had assigned it didn't work, and I didn't have to
auto generated one to fall back on.

- at the end of the ./start sequence my command prompt did not return. Is
there something I can do to break out without stopping the process? I typed
[ctrl]C and got the prompt back but then I noticed that I would get a 404
error instead of the password prompt on /manage

Do you think I can salvage the installation and just try the PYTHONPATH
thing again to change the password? Or is this indicative of a deeper
problem?

Thanks for all your help.

Sincerely, Emory