[Zope] Managing tons of inter-related DTML methods

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Thu, 11 May 2000 18:14:38 -0400

Sean McGrath <sean@digitome.com> wrote:

> Dia dhaoibh mo chairde Zopeannach!
>
> (Irish variation of "hello fellow Zopistas". A bit irregular
> in Irish which does not have the letter 'Z':-)
>
> I am creating DTML methods at a rate of knots and wondering
> how best to manage them in a modular fashion.
>
> I like the idea of segregating the methods into folders
> but am worried about arranging that the methods that
> call each other can do so...

If these methods can be thought of as being attached to objects which
belong to a common taxonomy, then moving them into ZClasses might make
sense.

> Also, I have a shed load of external methods. What is
> recommended practice here? Bundle all code into
> a single Python module, use many modules. Does it
> matter?

This sounds more like you need a Python product:  Python products
typically declare and implement functions and classes, and register
them for use/derivation by objects in the ZODB.  Python code is more
regularly behaved, and easier to work with, inside products, than in
external methods.

A couple of resources:

  The Zope Developers' Guide --
    http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Guides/ZDG