[Zope] Which login-system to use ?

Ty Sarna tsarna@endicor.com
12 May 2000 16:23:22 GMT

In article <130790366046.20000512144824@funcom.com>,
Geir Bækholt  <geirh@funcom.com> wrote:
> GUF and LoginManager look like the way to go, but which one
> would be easiest to implement with those requirements ?

The only User Source currently availible for LoginManager is
GenericUserSource, which tries to emulate GUF. There is currently no
SQLUserSource included. So, it's no easier for one vs another -- the
work would be about identical (you could even copy your userAuthenticate
and such methods from one to the other if you wanted to switch).

LoginManager does give you extra bells and whistles, though.
> What is the State of The LoginManager ? - is it correct that
> it is meant as a part of the PortalToolkit ? -Will it
> function separate from the PTK ??

Well, it was definately written with PTK's requirements in mind.
However, I can assure you it works without, as the authors have not yet
found time to even download PTK and play with it yet :-)

Seriously, LoginManager is intended to be very flexible, and it has no
dependancies at all on PTK. The only connection with PTK (and the reason
it was originally included there) is that it has features PTK needs that
other userfolder's don't offer. It works perfectly fine without PTK.