[Zope] Stopping and starting zope?

Mon, 15 May 2000 13:16:52 +0100

On Thu, 11 May 2000 06:28:23 -0700, "Andrew Williams"
<ajwms@visto.com> wrote:

>I've got Zope 2.1.6 running on NT 4.0 as a service.
>Everything is doing good (gradually getting Zen).
>
>Is it ok to stop and start Zope using "net stop" and "net
>start", or do I need to manually go into Zope and use the
>shutdown feature.
>
>The reason why I ask this, is that I am going to be backing
>up this server everyday, and I need to stop Zope in order
>to backup the database I'm pulling info from, and also to
>backup data.fs

The 'shutdown' and 'restart' buttons allow zope to write an index
file, which is used to speed up subsequent restarts. "net stop"
probably should do the same thing, but currently it does not.

The good news is that the slow-down is roughly proportional to the
number of object modified since the last graceful shutdown. For me,
the occasional 'restart' is enough to stop it getting too slow.

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com