[Zope] ZopeLaw

Brian Hickman mailto:bkkr@worldnet.att.net
Mon, 15 May 2000 12:46:25 -0700

Are there any other attorneys out there learning ZOPE.  If yes, I would like
to discuss the application of ZOPE to Law Office information handling in
general and to the related topic of the move to an XML based Electronic
Court Record in particular.  Please contact me directly instead of via the
mail list.

For the non-attorney members, the legal community is at the very early stage
of discussing why and how we can/should move from treating information as a
stack of paper documents inches or feet thick to an XML based Electronic
Court Record, where documents serve as the medium for exchanging information
with a common database.

This is were Zope comes in.  The study of Zope looks to me to be the best
way to learn how to transform information handling and workflow in the legal
community from the paper-stack database into an electronic database.  For,
if the courts are going to serve as repositories of common information, and
accept input via documents marked up in XML, then law offices will have to
mirror the change.

Second thought, If you agree with me that Zope, probably plus a relational
data base, is a better way to handle information then a stack of paper in a
file cabinet, or a set of word processing documents in a computer's file
system, you may want to show Zope to the attorneys at your company and win
them over? Just a thought.

Sincerely,

Brian Hickman
Attorney at Law