[Zope] Nesting ZClasses=='bad juju'

Jason Spisak 444@hiretechs.com
Fri, 19 May 2000 15:52:01 GMT

David Holden writes:

> Hi, I'm working throw the ZDevelopers guide, and want to try using nested
> ZClasses,

There was a thread about this a while back that talked about design choices
and nested ZClasses.  Due to some of the current conventions in the
ZClasses implementation, nesting them really didn't seem like the way to
go.  You lose some functionality, and things get hard to change.  Putting
all the ZClases in the root of your product folder is probably a better
idea.  (I'm sure I'm not the only one who believes this).

Just my 2 cents,

> e.g.
>
> I have a product CDcollection, which contains a ZClass ZCDcollection, I want
> ZCDcollection to contain instances of a sub class ZCDinformation (for
> individual CDs).
>
> According to the Doc's I should make the top class "ZCDcollection" a sub
> class of object manager and then create the subclass "ZCDinformation" in the
> methods tab of the ZCDcollection class.
>

> The docs say that Zope should then make this available in the subobjects tab
> of "ZCDcollection"
> but it doesn't.
>
> The only way I can get the ZCDinformation class avialable in the subobjects
> tab of the ZCDcollection class is if I make the ZCDinformation class at the
> same level as the ZCDcollection class, i.e. under product/CDcollection
> folder.
>

> in summary
>

> Products/CDcollection/ZCDcollection
> Products/CDcollection/ZCDinformation
>
> makes ZCDinformation avialable to the ZCDcollection subobjects tab
>
> but
>
> Products/CDcollection/ZCDcollection/ZCDinformation does not?

All my best,

Jason Spisak
CIO
HireTechs.com