[Zope] ANN: Perl For Zope

Dan L. Pierson dan@sol.control.com
Thu, 25 May 2000 09:32:33 -0400 (EDT)

Chris McDonough writes:
 > Honestly I'm sort of surprised that there is such a strong reaction to
 > this.  When you talk about Perl for Zope, you're talking about three
 > things:
 >
 > Perl through the web methods
 > Perl external methods
 > Glue code to make these things work properly
 >
 > I presume you're worried about #3.  Actually, I shouldn't presume that,
 > I don't know what you're actually worried about.  Umm... what *are* you
 > all worried about?

Personally, two things, one of which fortunately isn't on your list
and the other is an (ick) management problem:

1. Perl Products - I'm really glad these aren't included in your plans
bcause someone would then come out with something we really needed,
didn't have time to write and would then have to maintain in *Perl*.

2. Today I have to look at hiring web developers (expect to see the
first job announcement in early June :-)) who probably don't know Zope
and Python and training them in these tools.  With Perl methods
possible, I forsee some interesting debates...  (Yes, I was fluent in
Perl at one time (1.0-3.x mainly).  I'm very out of practice now and
have no desire to get back in practice :-(.)

Dan Pierson