[Zope] ANN: Perl For Zope

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Thu, 25 May 2000 12:29:20 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Withers" <chrisw@nipltd.com>
To: "Kevin Dangoor" <kid@kendermedia.com>
Cc: "Chris McDonough" <chrism@digicool.com>; <phd@phd.russ.ru>; "Zope
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2000 11:05 AM
Subject: Re: [Zope] ANN: Perl For Zope

> Kevin Dangoor wrote:
> > perl will be able to create complete through the web Products in
perl/dtml.

> No!!!
>
> Keep perl and DTML seperate. If people want to play in Perl fine, but
> keep it seperate from everything else. Perl-only methods and external
> methods, no DTML mangling and no perl expression in dtml tags. Newbies
> get confused enough with python...

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like THAT! (Which would indeed be
appalling.) What I meant was that a typical through the web product
developed today would be a combination of PythonMethods and DTML... people
coming from the perl world could make their products using PerlMethods and
DTML. Expressions in DTML are still python, which shouldn't be *too* painful
for perl folks.

Kevin