[Zope] ANN: Perl For Zope

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
Thu, 25 May 2000 12:09:47 -0600

Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:

> Chris Withers wrote:
>
> > I have to say, I'm not convinced it is. Providing Perl methods is like
> > drilling a hole through a dyke wall. By getting loads of perl
> > programmers on board, you suddenly have a large userbase wishing they
> > can do more in perl, so you implement perl products. (yes, I've read the
> > FAQ too, hence my politicians comment...)
> >
> > This userbase gets into hacking the core and bring perl into there.

This is my primary concern as well.  History bears this concern out.
Keep the programming languages to Python (and some C where needed, of
course). Even if it isn't done by DC, a large perl user base *will* come
up with perl products. At which point DC will either be pressured into
accepting them into thecore, or watching the branch become the dominant
Zope.

> Yeah, but for that you'd need to be able to import Python code into Perl, or
> alternatively reimplement all those core classes (ObjectManager, etc.).  And
> integrate Perl code with ZODB (pickle instances of perl classes.)  Why would
> anyone spend time doing that?

Two questions:
 o Seen Minotaur?
 o Beacuse that's what perlers do: they rewrite everything as often as
they can