[Zope] Architectural questions

Roberto Faria roberto@faria.com
Fri, 26 May 2000 00:15:30 +0200

Hi everyone,

I have recently joined a small software development team in South Africa
comprising of the best object people in the country.  We have been tasked
to build a financial supermarket using the numerous distribution channels
including the web, fax, email, wap. I am currently investigating the
suitability of using Zope to implement my presentation layer (as apposed to
using Java servlets). To complete my Zope study I need to answers to the
following:
(1)     Is the Zope VM threaded? Do the VMs get pooled? What happens if a
VM gets bloated and old?
(2)     Is there a limit to the number of objects in a Zope repository? Who
is currently running the biggest Zope site in terms of Objects and hits per
day? How many repositories are being used? Do you guys know of any other
large python driven websites?
(3)     How does ZEO ensure View consistency when numerous clients are
transacting?  How are transaction conflicts handled?
(4)     Where is the transaction log stored? How does one rebuild a Zope
database after a server crash? Can transactions be lost?
(5)     How does a development team debug DTML?
(6)     Does Zope provide any resource pooling such as the J2EE products?
(7)     How does one provide a 24x7 service? What happens if you need to
upgrade the Zope server?
(8)     When will the object database provide indexed collections?

Thanks in advance
Roberto