[Zope] A new development model for Zope?

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
Fri, 26 May 2000 03:54:56 -0600

Paolo Bizzarri wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I was just wondering if Zope could not get a better development model.
>  I will explain briefly.
>
> Currently, Zope seems to have a model for major releases, in which bugs
> are corrected and features (possibly large features) are added in each
> new release. This model, IMHO, performs poorly on the stability and bug
> fixing side.
>
> My proposal is that Zope should go through a stable/development version,
> in a similar way to the linux-kernel. New heavy features should be only
> for the development Zope, whereas the stable Zope should receive only
> the bugfixes and the (micro) new features. This should be of major
> importance, because I would like to have Zope to increase stability on
> normal versions, without any further feature that I do not need.
>
> What do you think about it ?

I think we see this proposal about every three months on average. ;-)

Personally, I would like to see a patch collector, for 'unofficial
patches'. Kind of like the ac patches for linux (and now the aa and who
knows who else is doing it now).