[Zope] Higher Education

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Fri, 26 May 2000 09:35:24 -0400

Phil Langton wrote:

> Someone has mentioned that Digital Creations has taken on someone who
> is to implement a zope-based virtual learning environment tool kit.
>
> Is this so?
> Any mailing lists or contacts or test areas?

You're probably referring to me.  I haven't taken an active role in
this area recently because of the time it takes to get married
(January/February), change jobs (March/April), move across the country
(April), and get settled in a new area. :-)

The zope-edu project was doing well for a while but we were unable to
define the scope of the project.  There are a lot of facets involved
and everybody was approaching it with a very different perspective.
And nobody knew the technology well enough: it's too easy to
re-implement things in Zope that have already been done by others.  A
battle ensued over naming conventions (ZSchool? ZopeEdu? Something
else?) and the mailing list eventually reached an activity level of
zero.

We could start again with a new approach: a Wiki!  Wikis work very well
for initial designs.  We could take the good posts from pi.slcc.edu and
put them into the Wiki right away.

How many are still interested in this?

Shane