[Zope] Building ZPyGreSQLDA on Linux

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu@hotmail.com
Sun, 28 May 2000 02:18:52 PDT

>From: Daryl Tester <dt@picknowl.com.au>
> > Let me try again, does any of you guys have a "config" subfolder inside
>your
> > /usr/lib/python1.5/ folder?
>
>Yes.  For the record (RedHat 6.1):
>
>[dt@nipnyep dt]$ ls /usr/lib/python1.5/config/
>Makefile	 Setup.local   config.c.in     makesetup
>Makefile.pre.in  Setup.thread  install-sh      python.o
>Setup		 config.c      libpython1.5.a

Thanks a lot, I am inching in day-by-day. :) Your directory structure is
really illuminating. You've been very helpful. You'll see why in a second.

Trust me, and please take the time to verify yourself, and let me repeat
once and for all: the "config" subfolder is a deprecated feature in Python.
It's gone. Bye bye to "config". It no longer exists in Python distribution
1.5.2.

My Python folder shows the following: (this is from the latest source
install of Python... downloaded yesterday from www.python.org)

[hjlu@www src]$ ls /u/c2/hjlu/Python-1.5.2/
BeOS            Makefile.in     Parser          config.cache    configure.in
Demo            Misc            Python          config.h
getbuildinfo.o
Grammar         Modules         README          config.h.in     install-sh
Include         Objects         Tools           config.log
libpython1.5.a
Lib             PC              acconfig.h      config.status   pg.py
Makefile        PCbuild         buildno         configure       python

As you can see, a lot of your files that  used to be inside the "config"
subfolder are nowadays at the root of the Python installation directory. The
"makesetup" file is nowadays inside the "Modules" subfolder.

It seems to me that Python installation has changed substantially from 1.5
to 1.5.2. So, in short, those of you that are running ZPyGreSQLDA are a very
limited lucky bunch of people that are still using Python 1.5 instead of
1.5.2. :) In other words, ZPyGreSQLDA simply doesn't work out-of-the-box
with Python 1.5.2.

After tweaking the Makefile.pre.in, I have been able to go a few more steps
in the makefile process. It still has error, but I'll solve one error at a
day, ha. :)

Regards and thanks again to all who have helped. I'll post a summary on how
to install ZPyGreSQLDA with Python 1.5.2, if I succeed to. :)

Hung Jung