[Zope] Re: Perl and Zope

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Sat, 27 May 2000 12:37:21 -0400

(Note: I pulled a Guido, making this announcement before going on the
road for two days.  I've spent about three hours compiling a blanket
response, but it seems that I have another two more before I'm done!)

Tom Neff wrote:
> My primary worry (if you're listening, Digicool) is that integrating the
> Python and Perl runtime environments on various platforms will lead to
> unexpected conflicts and performance problems.  For example, will threading
> be enforced properly?  If memory leaks, whose memory is it?  If Perl
> releases a new version, will Zope admins need to hold back until it's
> cleared for use with Zope?

Thought I'd try to address this one specifically.  The first two are
listed explicitly in the contract with ActiveState.  That doesn't mean
there can't still be weird interactions.  Jim Fulton has debugged a lot
of ZODB corruption problems caused by memory errors in, of all things, a
MySQL DA.

Translation: vigilance.

--Paul