[Zope] Zope Email (syndication)

ethan mindlace fremen mindlace@digicool.com
Sun, 28 May 2000 22:51:31 -0600

Chris Withers wrote:

> mindlace wrote:
> > I don't quite see why MailHost isn't "low level integration"
>
> Does MailHost do recieves as well as sends?

No, but see below...

> > Making Zope an MTA seems like a lot of extra work.  Now, Zope as an IMAP
> > server I could get my head around...
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference?

An imap server stores the messages that have been recieved.  An MTA
(Mail Transport Agent) goes about sending mail from one place to
another.  If there were an IMAP server in zope, you could "recieve" the
mail as an object in zope, but it would still be delivered to zope by an
MTA.

> Archiving mailing lists shouldn't be a big issue since there are already
> Zope mailing list archives that are searchable in ways currently more
> powerful than ZCatalog has to offer.

Unless you want to extend what you can do with an email.  I would really
like to be able to take emails that people send to zope.org and
propogate them to different sections of the site, for example.

> If it's not necessary, then don't do it, but if it is to get true
> mailing of content into Zope then lets get started on it it now so the
> end result arrives sooner...

Based off of what you're saying, I think it would be more appropriate to
try to go for an imap server in zope.  Note that this is non-trivial too
:).

~ethan