[Zope] ZOracleDA causing instability

Petru Paler ppetru@ppetru.net
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 12:01:55 +0200

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else sees this: I run a moderately high-traffic (a
couple hundred thousand hits/day) with Zope and Oracle (most of the site is
forms interacting with the Oracle database, the rest being help/support files
for those forms and a couple images). Products used:

  - FSSession-0-4-2
  - GenericUserFolder 1-2-4
  - PythonMethod-0-1-7
  - SiteAccess-2-0-0b3
  - the latest ZOracleDA (the __version__ string in __init__.py says:
"$Revision: 1.4 $")

Zope 2.2.2 (source release) run with RewriteRule proxying behind apache 1.3.14.
Oracle 8.1.6 (aka 8i release 2) installed on the same machine.

The problem is that the whole thing is very unstable, and I suspect ZOracleDA
to be the culprit. Sometimes the whole Zope just hangs (actually so often, that
we are restarting it from cron each 15 minutes, but it's a bad solution since
all the GUF cookies are lost and customers are logged out), other times it
goes mad and eats lots of memory (I've seen it consuming 800 megs of memory,
and the whole unpacked Data.fs is 9 megs!), other times it gives a very strange
error: ZSQL methods raise exceptions whose contents is queries ran in other
threads!.

Does anyone have any ideea of what is happening, and how to fix it ?

--
Petru Paler, mailto:ppetru@ppetru.net
http://www.ppetru.net - ICQ: 41817235