[Zope] Where is the code?

Rik Hoekstra rik.hoekstra@inghist.nl
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 22:43:03 +0100

> I have played with Zope and got everything working. It is
> however not clear to me how the code (DTML and so on) is
> merged into Zope and where it is kept. Would gurus out there
> point this to me? thanks.

DTML and Zope (code) objects are kept in the object database. It is in
<zopehome>/var/data.fs on your filesystem.
If you create a new object, Zope creates a new instance of a class that is
in Zope. They are defined in Products. The products are visible in your zope
site at http://your.site/Control_Panel/Products
Zope products/classes may be defined in Python modules. In that case the
modules live in the <zopehome>/lib/python/Products directory. They may also
be defined in ZClasses, which are defined completely through the web. They
are not visible on the filesystem, only in Zope itself.

I don't know whether that was your question, but DTML is interpreted at
runtime by the Zope system. It takes the dtml bits from your template and
returns the filled in template.

hth

Rik