[Zope] XMLRPC accessing Zope DTML/SQL methods

Mayers, Philip J p.mayers@ic.ac.uk
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 19:49:54 -0000

I'm planning on using Zope as some middleware to an SQL database backend.
Zope will implement the per-row ACL checking and such for the database
application, and there are two clients - a simple web-based Zope frontend,
and a larger standalone Java application. I'd like the Java app to
communicate with Zope using XMLRPC, so that I can re-use the middleware
portion, and take advantage of SSL'd HTTP, along with all the other bonuses
such as not trusting the client :o)

But: I'm having problems that indicate I don't understand how External
Methods or the XMLRPC call support works.

I have an SQL query method backed by a persistent DB connection. I want to
call that method over XMLRPC remotely. How do I do that? Namely, how do I
pass named arguments to the SQL method?

Also, I did some simple External Method examples, and acquisition doesn't
seem to work as advertised: This:

def testf(self, REQUEST):
        return self.index_html()

Gives an error "standard_html_header not found". What's going on?

Regards,
Phil

| Phil Mayers, Network Support     |
| Centre for Computing Services    |