[Zope] XML-RPC

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 18:44:44 -0500

Hello

I am missing the start of this thread, so I may be off topic, but you might
want to look seriously at Flash5 for the client side programming and
graphics.

PROS:

1. Flash5 ActionScript is _very_ close to JavaScript

2. Flash Player/Plugin is much smaller than SVG 300Kb vs. 13Mb I think +
large user installed base.

3. Flash5 has new XML and XMLSockets objects which should integrate nicely
with XMLRPC and Zope via some smooth Python external method programming.

4. Flash will allow _much_ more client side interactivity than SVG

5. You can port SVG graphics to Flash using various tools [or even write
your own].

6. You can still use SVG JavaScript and do some comparisons where
appropriate...

7. Flash is more mature than SVG, though I agree SVG is developing very
well. I expect we shall see some serious applications during next 12 months
with it.

8. Flash is very object-oriented once you grok to its design. Thus mirrors
Zope very well.

CONS:

A. Flash has steepish learning curve, but high payback and reusability.
[Not as tough as Zope :-) ]
B. SVG is fully open; the Flash spec is 'published' but not open in the same
way.
C. must be more but cant thing of them right now

If you are interested contact me - I have lots of useful research on this
topic.

- Jason

Jason Cunliffe = Nomadics['Interactive Art+Technology']