[Zope] How to separate markup from presentation

Tom Sheffler sheffler@rambus.com
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:38:34 -0800 (PST)

I'm aware of HiperDom, but I'm wondering if anyone has a good
suggestion for how to structure docs so that docs can be written
using abstract tags whose definition is separate.

What I've done is a simple variable substitution.  My doc uses
constructs like

<dtml-var MyH2Start>
   ... content ...
<dtml-var MyH2End>

and the definitions of MyH2Start and MyH2End are simple
properties, whose values are usually something like:

  MyH2Start = "<td class=MyTdClass><P class=MyTagP>"
  MyH2End   = "</P> </td>"

This is the first part of the problem.  Additionally, I would
like the definitions of my tags (MyH2Start and MyH2End) to be
dependent on the context in which the content appears.  (If it
shows up in a sidebar, an H2 looks one way, rather than in
a main page where is looks another way.)

(These were issues that CSS were to address, but most implementations
are incompatible.)

I'm not looking for a product as much as a suggestion for
a methodology.  Any help appreciated.

T	7om