[Zope] Pseudo E-Mail Address validation

Dennis Nichols nichols@tradingconnections.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:00:24 -0600

At 11/21/00 04:27 PM, Martin Winkler wrote:
>For a subscription tool of a mailing list I'd like to quick-check the
>e-mail address our users type.

As a check on whether an email address *looks* OK, I use the following
External Method. If ICANN really approves TLDs that are other than 2 or 3
characters long then the {2,3} will have to be changed.

Warning: Some mail software between you and me may break up lines in the
code. There are two executable lines, one starts with "m =" and the very
next line starts with "return". There are no blanks in the r'...' string.

import re

def wellformedEmail(self, address):
     """ return true if email address appears to be well formed """
     m =
re.search(r'^[_a-z0-9-]+(\.[_a-z0-9-]+)*@([0-9a-z][0-9a-z-]*[0-9a-z]\.)+[a-z]{2,3}$',
address, re.IGNORECASE)
     return m != None and m.group() == address