[Zope] Having troubles starting Zope.

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 20:43:51 -0500

It sounds like the .deb of Zope (or the hotfix) you have is
misconfigured in some way... I think the Debian Zope maintainer is
Gregor Hoffleit... I'd imagine he'd be interested in a bug report.

But in the meantime, I'd suggest using the Zope source distribution to
install... it's actually not too hard.

1. make sure you have Python installed as well as the Python
"development libraries" (might be easiest to install Python from source
too here, but probably not required)
2. download the latest Zope source tgz
3. ungzip and untar it as a regular user in a directory somewhere you
like
4. run "python w_pcgi.py" in the directory (pay attention to the
password it gives you for the superuser)
5. wait for it to compile (report any errors you come up with in this
step to the list)
6. type "./start"
7. fire up a browser and point it at port 8080
8. log in as superuser and create a management account
9. close the browser
10. open the browser again and log in as the management user.
11. have fun.

--
Chris McDonough
Digital Creations, Publishers of Zope