[Zope] DTMLTemplate + PythonMethod == separate code from HTML?

Ender kthangavelu@earthlink.net
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:51:27 -0800

Thiebaut CHAMPENIER wrote:

> The DTMLTemplate and PythonMethods products seem to provide this kind of
> separation between code and design, but I did not manage to get them working
> properly together:

they do provide this level of separation. another option to check out
with this kinda of separation are the hiperdom templates (search
hiperdom on zope.org, not quite ready for prime time)

> DTMLTemplate:  when I display a block (using <dtml-var
> "my_template.my_block">), the HTML tags in my_block appear quoted, should I
> use a fmt="html" or something like that to avoid the quoting?

when you switch to pythonish dtml ala " " you need to explicitly pass in
the args the method expects for proper rendering.

<dtml-var "my_template.my_block("_.None,_)">

> PythonMethods: how can I access Zope objects from my method?  Typically I'd
> like to call a template block from my method, but just using
> my_template.my_block doesn't work.

same thing i think,
return my_template.my_block(_.None, _)

> As you can see, I'm not a Zope guru, but I'm willing to learn!  I believe
> that Zope and PTK have a big role to play in the current portal and
> application servers war... ready to use portal-in-a-box products cost around
> $100,000... so for that price you can use zope and afford more consulting
> and coding services!

there are several other quality open source portal solutions. to name a
few
arsdigita.com, java.apache.org/jetspeed, metadot.com

> BTW, currently I'm experiencing a problem: no images (icons, ZopeButton
> etc..) appear on my management pages, images stored in the ZODB are ok
> though. any idea where are those images like
> http://localhost:8080/p_/ZopeButton ?

there some stuff on this in the mailing list archives.

kapil