[Zope] Factoids for supporting zope

jpenny@universal-fasteners.com jpenny@universal-fasteners.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:33:31 -0500

> >    Ah.  Well, my opinion is that it'd be fairly dangerous to make the
> assertion
> >    that (as great as they both are) Zope and the Zope community can "make
> up
> >    for" the other half of the capital they need to develop the software
> they
> >    want.  So what's the decision they're trying to make?  Whether to
> develop at
> >    all?
> >
> > Whether to go with portal products from Plumtree or iPlanet.

I am reading between the lines here.  I think that the original poster
has an argument inside his company.  He wants to use Zope, and some
office droid did financial research and concluded that Zope was
undercapitalized.

I think there are two questions to be posed here:

1) Does Zope, in its current state, do what the poster needs to have
done?  If so, it is capitalization should have no effect on the
decision whatsoever, he has source, even if DC folds Zope will live
on in some form.

2) If not, well, what does he need?  Has DC been contacted regarding
these needs?

One worthwhile observation is that DC claims to have been
profitable prior to the VC investment.  I am not privy to strategy
or details of DC's capitalization.  But, they do have a track record
of profitablity and reasonable prudence.  With good management and
luck, they will remain profitable, and that is the end need for a
business.  If they stay profitable, they remain a business; if they
never become profitable, it does not matter how they are capitalized,
they will not survive.

Jim