[Zope] [BUG] [Zserver] GET and HEAD give different MIME types

Stephane Bortzmeyer stephane@sources.org
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:06:23 +0100

On Tuesday 28 November 2000, at 21 h 18, the keyboard of Martijn Pieters
<mj@digicool.com> wrote:

> Note that you don't want the DTML code to be called on a HEAD request; it
> may have side effects a mere tpc_abort won't roll back.

I understand but this seems a deviation (I don't say a violation since the RFC
says SHOULD and not MUST) from the RFC on HTTP (2616):

9.4 HEAD

   The HEAD method is identical to GET except that the server MUST NOT
   return a message-body in the response. The metainformation contained
   in the HTTP headers in response to a HEAD request SHOULD be identical
   to the information sent in response to a GET request.

It is certainly a big problem for debugging or for robots which assume they
can test with HEAD.