[Zope] FYI: Python product tutorial updated

Brian Lloyd brian@digicool.com
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 11:23:06 -0400

> This tutorial looks great...it explained a lot of things to me
> that I wasn't
> able to put together before.
>
> But...on looking at it, a nagging thought keep recurring...this
> is a really
> quite long and complicated process for a Poll product. As much as I like
> Zope and thing it is a great platform on which to develop web
> applications,
> I often wonder about the complexity and obscurity of some of the
> procedures
> that need to executed while making what are, on the face of it,
> often quite
> simple web objects or applications. Consequently I have honestly
> had quite a
> hard time convincing PHP-savvy colleagues that the path to Zope Zen is
> something worth starting on. Does anyone else experience these nagging
> doubtful thoughts occasionally ?

I think yours is a valid criticism. Zope provides the
infrastructure to do a lot of powerful and complex things,
with the downside that (currently) as a developer a lot of
the details are "in your face". One major goal I have for
Zope going forward is to strive for "optional complexity" -
not only for day-to-day use of Zope but also for component
developers.

I'd be very interested to hear any ideas you folks have
on ways to help "make simple things simple" for development
and to allow people to deal with complexity only as they
begin to need it...

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909