[Zope] Re: 'Offline' mailhost

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 15:12:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Chris Withers wrote:

> What, IMHO, is really needed is a mailhost/sendmail tag type thing that
> gets a message and a list of addresses to send it to. If it could do
> that in a seperate thread/process/whatever so that whatever calls it
> doesn't block, that'd be great. Of course, it'd need to have a 'hook
> back' method provided so any errors that occured could be dealt with.
>
> I wonder how mailman does this stuff and if the code could be borrowed
> for Zope?

I don't have a quick answer.  (It's been a long time since i worked on
mailman, and this stuff in particular has changed a lot.) It looks like
the code in Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py is what's of interest, and it
doesn't depend too elaborately on the rest of mailman, which is good.
I'm have no idea whether it solves the problem of doing unblocking
delivery in a way that lets the delivery requester get a status back.

Ken
klm@digicool.com