[Zope] one external method calling another; what possibilities?

Fred Yankowski fred@ontosys.com
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 16:42:42 -0500

I'm using some example code that defines an External Method to process
a form.  That External Method calls another utility function to log
some data.  I'm not quite sure what choices I have for creating that
utility function, so I created another External Method for it.  Both
functions are in the same Python source file in the Extensions folder.

Anyway, the main external function calls the utility function like this:

	self.function2(arg1=valuex, arg2=valuey)

I expected that function2 would have to be defined like this:

	def function2(self, **kwargs)

but it turned out that that fails at runtime with a complaint about a
mismatch between the number of arguments sent and expected (0 and 1,
respectively).  The following does work:

	def function2(**kwargs)

So, why isn't function2 called as a method function?

Was there some better way I could have implemented function2, rather
than as an external method?

Where is reference documentation on External Methods?  I couldn't find
anything other than a very cursory overview in one of the PDF'ed
documents (I forget which).

--
Fred Yankowski           fred@OntoSys.com      tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370