[Zope] fmt=structured-text seems wrongish

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 23:38:01 +0200 (CEST)

Dennis Nichols writes:
 > <dtml-var "myDoc.description" fmt=structured-text>
 >
 > .... And shouldn't the fmt specification tell how
 > myDoc.description is to be presented instead of how it is stored?
I agree with you that "fmt" should specify how the value should
be formatted and not how it is stored.

 > For example, let's say I can choose to store description as plain text, as
 > structured text, or as html. Regardless of how it is stored, I might want
 > to ask for it as:
 >
 > fmt=raw       in case I want to edit it
 > fmt=html      in case I want to send it to a browser
I fear, the "fmt" machinery will not know, how the value
is marked up (plain/stx/html). This knowledge would
be necessary for a format change.

Currently, I would say, this is not a task for the "fmt"
argument but for the application.

Dieter