[Zope] newbie inquiry about zope

Aharon frazers@israelmail.com
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:40:37 +0200

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C03DF2.4876D060

I have just started looking at zope for the site I am developing. I was =
wondering if anyone could tell me whether it sounds like an appropriate =
tool to use.

The basic idea of my site is to be a sort of multi-user-dimension for =
text. Meaning, we'll have various books available in a database, and =
people can log on and read a chapter or a whole book. The innovative =
part is that we will track which users are reading which texts, and let =
people interact with others reading the same text as them. We will also =
provide some other features, including user customization of fonts and =
colors, and the ability for users to write new texts to be included in =
the content library. People will be able to read, write, and discuss =
with each other. To enable serious literary analysis of diverse =
documents, we will have a number of text-parsing tools available to =
readers. One other important thing to mention is that we will have a lot =
of text in non-Latin character sets, including right to left languages.

My questions are:
1) Could Zope help me keep track of who is reading what and match people =
up for discussion?
2) Could Zope help me personalize the fonts and other display settings =
for each user? How about letting users create their own bookmarks within =
the texts?
3) Could Zope help me manage user created content and the relations =
between content and its creators?
4) Could Zope handle right to left text and non-Latin character sets?
5) What are the advantages/disadvantages to developing this site with =
Zope as opposed to MySQL and PHP?
6) Could Zope help me make the same content available to ordinary web =
browsers and wireless devices in different formats?
7) Since we are going to be having discussion, we might want to stream =
voice between users and also stream pre-recorded voice. Any support for =
that?
8) Where can I find speed benchmark information about Zope?
9) Where can I find virtual server and collocation hosting for my site =
if I want to use zope, or do I have to administrate my own server?

Any input about any of these questions would be greatly appreciated. I =
apologize for my ignorance.

Thanks,
Aharon

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C03DF2.4876D060

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have just started looking at zope for =
the site I=20
am developing. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether it sounds =
like an=20
appropriate tool to use.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The basic idea of my site is to be a =
sort of=20
multi-user-dimension for text. Meaning, we'll have various books =
available in a=20
database, and people can log on and read a chapter or a whole book. The=20
innovative part is that we will track which users are reading which =
texts, and=20
let people interact with others reading the same text as them. We will =
also=20
provide some other features, including user customization of fonts and =
colors,=20
and the ability for users to write new texts to be included in the =
content=20
library. People will be able to read, write, and discuss with each =
other. To=20
enable serious literary analysis of diverse documents, we will have a =
number of=20
text-parsing tools available to readers. One other important thing to =
mention is=20
that we will have a lot of text in non-Latin character sets, including =
right to=20
left languages.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My questions are:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1) Could Zope help me keep track of who =

is&nbsp;reading what and match people up for discussion?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2) Could Zope help me personalize the =
fonts and=20
other display settings for each user? How about letting users create =
their own=20
bookmarks within the texts?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3) Could Zope help me manage user =
created content=20
and the relations between content and its creators?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>4) Could Zope handle right to left text =
and=20
non-Latin character sets?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>5) What are the =
advantages/disadvantages to=20
developing this site with Zope as opposed to MySQL and PHP?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>6) Could Zope help me make the same =
content=20
available to ordinary web browsers and wireless devices in different=20
formats?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>7) Since we are going to be having =
discussion, we=20
might want to stream voice between users and also stream pre-recorded =
voice. Any=20
support for that?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>8) Where can I find speed benchmark =
information=20
about Zope?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>9) Where can I find virtual server and =
collocation=20
hosting for my site if I want to use zope, or do I have to administrate =
my own=20
server?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Any input about any of these questions =
would be=20
greatly appreciated. I apologize for my ignorance.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Aharon</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C03DF2.4876D060--