[Zope] How small a box can zope run on?

Bill Anderson bill@noreboots.com
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 09:39:54 -0600

Toby Dickenson wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Oct 2000 18:43:57 +0200, "Alexander Limi"
> <alexander@limi.net> wrote:
>
> >We are building some device controller software and to control those we have
> >a normal 486 with 24MB RAM running linux. Has anybody tried running zope on
> >such a modest setup? There is only going to be one or two users connected to
> >Zope at once, so we don't need much performance in terms of page views per
> >second :)
>
> Yes, Im using Zope in a similar scenario and it works well.
>
> I found a benefit in using a smaller number of publisher threads (I
> use -T 2 ). Each thread gets its own copy of the ODB, which is an
> unnecessary memory hog for the expected load.

What OS is this on? On Linux each thread does _NOT_ get a copy of the
ODB. It just _looks_ like it. See the archives for details. The benefit
from smaller thread counts is that:
A) Multiple threads is not a big boost on uniprocessor machines
B) Python does some different things with threads, see the Global
Interpreter Lock for details. Changin the realted value in Zope will
acheive differing levels of performance.

--
E PLURIBUS LINUX