[Zope] Zope.org is slow, it's being hit hard! :-)

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Fri, 01 Sep 2000 12:59:38 +0100

Curtis Maloney wrote:
> Sometimes (much of the time) it comes through just fine.  But on some days
> (and it does seem to last just the day) it's slower than a wet weekend.
> What would be interesting to know is WHY it gets slow.

This might help explain it:

> I noticed this also, it appears from the logs that we're being crawled
> by about 7 different bots. I guess popularity has its price...
>

> --
> - Matthew Burleigh
> - Systems Administrator, Digital Creations - publishers of Zope.
> - (888)344-4332 -- http://www.digicool.com - http://www.zope.org

Maybe it's be possible to have some sort of 'current load indicator' in
the standard_html_footer on zope.org?

Matt mentioned a quick hack:

> watch "netstat -an | grep "1380" -c"
>
> Averages around 140, since I've been watchin for last couple mins....

I wonder if something similar could be bent to the job?

> If it really is
> something beyond their control, perhaps mirror sites?

Well, NIP would be happy to do this, but, as you may or may not know,
Zope doesn't mirror very well :-(

cheers,

Chris