[Zope] ZCatalog and OR searching

Casey Duncan casey.duncan@state.co.us
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 13:22:18 -0600

It would be wonderful if ZCatalog could support something like a SQL where
clause for doing complex searching. Is this anything anybody has in the
works or would be interested in working on?

I forsee something like Catalog(query_expr="title contains 'foo' and not
title contains 'bar' or title contains 'spam'"). Support for the simple
searching in existence now should of course remain.

Perhaps some code could be borrowed from Gadfly or something. I would be
interested in working on something such as this, but I don't want to
reinvent the wheel. Anyone with futher input or info, please let me know.

-Casey Duncan

----- Original Message -----
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 11:43:30 +0100
From: Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com>
To: Dieter Maurer <dieter@handshake.de>
CC: Francois-Regis CHALAOUX <Francois-Regis.CHALAOUX@sanofi-synthelabo.com>,
Receipt Notification Requested <zope@zope.org>
Subject: [Zope] ZCatalog and OR searching

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> A ZCatalog search usually combines searches to the different
> indexes with an "And".
> You want to combine them with an "Or".

Don't you wish there was a decent query language for ZCatalog so this
kindof rediculous complexiting to achieve a simple outcome wasn't
necessary?

cheers,

Chris

PS: The example in the Advanced ZCatalog How-To does away with most of
the catalog's advantages (like lazy searches, small results set, etc)