[Zope] NEWBIE HELP can not get Zope to start

Phil Harris phil.harris@zope.co.uk
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 09:14:07 +0100

Douglas,

You seem to be doing as expected, however a few points to note:

see below:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Douglas Eadline" <deadline@plogic.com>
To: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2000 3:12 AM
Subject: [Zope] NEWBIE HELP can not get Zope to start

> I have tried this 10 times with several versions of Zope and
> I get the same result - Zope will not let me add a user or log in.
>
> Here are my steps:
>
> 1. download and install latest RPMS:
>      Zope-2.2.1-1.i386.rpm
>      Zope-zserver-2.2.1-1.i386.rpm
>
> 2. Start zope:
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/zope start
>
> 3. login as superuser
>
>     superuser
>     123
>
> 4. See first Zope Screen
>
> 5. Attempt to run the tutorial as described in the Content Managers Guide
>
>    Zope will not let superuser do this
>
> 6. OK, I'll add a user. I go to acl_users and add a user.
>
> 7. I quit netscape, and restart and attempt to login as
>    the new user - DOES NOT WORK

When you created the user did you give it managment permissions or is it
only a 'normal' user?

> 8> I check /var/zope/access - no new user added

The new user doesn't get added to the access only superusers are put in
there (I think there has been some talk about having multiple su's tho).

The new user is put into the ZODB and accessed from there.

> 9. I quit netscape and re-login as superuser.
>    I look at the user I added, now the password field
>    has more stars in it than the password I assigned.
>    The confirm field has 1 star less than the password field.

This is pure obfuscation, the password fields are set to a value that zope
recognises as you saying 'just change the properties associated with this
user, but leave the password alone'.

> I do not get it. Is there something to read that explains
> how to start Zope and try the tutorial?

As above, the only thing I can think of is that you didn't give the new user
the correct permissions.

> Or is this some secret only Zope hackers know?

No secrets, we don't have secrets here ;)

hth

Phil
phil.harris@zope.co.uk