[Zope] Looking for Zope vs. Others at-a-glance comparison

albert boulanger aboulang@ldeo.columbia.edu
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 08:48:16 -0400 (EDT)

   Exactly.
   My concern is to get the right kind of discussion going because it is going
   to need some differnt kinds of minds to work together.

This meshes with my thinking recently. I think many in the Zope
community are "early-adopters" kind of people -- willing to put up
with spending time to know the ins and outs of DTML or python
programmers who would do most in python. A python programmer or early
adopter does not a typical web design team make. Personally. I like the
notion of a DTML an that you can do a little business logic there if
you choose to. This issue with DTML in my mind is that its
syntax/semantics design throws people for loops that can waste their
time for sometimes days. Early adopters will go through this trial by
fire. I did and now on the other side I know the gotchas.  Early
adopters are a special breed of people that will give a new product a
ring of success but this pool saturates easily, leading a new company
to the chasm.

To cross the chasm, and reach a broader audience, this trial by fire
phase of becoming a productive Zope user has to be reduced -- in
addition to addressing other productivity parts of the bigger product
pie mentioned in prior messages.

If you are interested in understanding the business of Crossing the
Chasm, I would recommend a book by the same name.  I think the Zope
story is still unfolding on how an open source product will cross the
chasm.

Regards,
Albert Boulanger
aboulanger@vPatch.com