[Zope] Zope and the GPL poison pill

Karl Anderson karl@digicool.com
12 Sep 2000 16:45:07 -0700

Correct me if I'm wrong (and don't bother with the discussion on the
merits or non- of the GPL, I don't care in this context), but:

In order to link/incorporate a GPL'd module, you have to be able to
distribute the entire work under the GPL.

RMS says that the ZPL isn't compatible with the GPL; either you can't
get something via rights given by the ZPL, then distribute it under
the more restrictive rights of the GPL (the copyleft virus).  Or vice
versa.

Therefore, assuming RMS is correct, GPL'd components can't be
distributed as part of a Zope solution.  You can link & use them, or
distribute one and provide a pointer to the other for the other party
to install, just not distribute them together to anyone else.

Is this correct?  If it is, the GPL isn't very appropriate for the
license of a Zope product, becuase it's a packaging nightmare.

--
Karl Anderson                          karl@digicool.com