[Zope] Zope 2.2.1 Vrs Apache Benchmarks using Apache Bench (AB)

J. Atwood jatwood@bwanazulia.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:10:43 -0400

I have done this before
(http://www.zope.org/Members/BwanaZulia/benchmarks.html) but I just got my
hands on a brand new server and thought I would see how 2.2.1 does.

Machine: 600 MHz, 128 MB Ram, 20 GB EIDE drive, Linux 6.2

Ran it 5 times.. always came out close to this (+/- 1 RPS)

Server Software:        Zope/Zope
Server Port:            80

Document Path:          /index_html
Document Length:        184 bytes

Concurrency Level:      25
Time taken for tests:   9.715 seconds
Complete requests:      1000
Failed requests:        0
Total transferred:      387387 bytes
HTML transferred:       184184 bytes
Requests per second:    102.93
Transfer rate:          39.88 kb/s received

Connnection Times (ms)
              min   avg   max
Connect:        0     5   254
Processing:   100   234    36
Total:        100   239   290

And Apache which I ran a lot. The RPS were anywhere from 250-850.. so this
was about average of all of them.

Server Software:        Apache/1.3.12
Server Port:            8080

Document Path:          /index.html
Document Length:        231 bytes

Concurrency Level:      25
Time taken for tests:   1.896 seconds
Complete requests:      1000
Failed requests:        0
Total transferred:      520520 bytes
HTML transferred:       231231 bytes
Requests per second:    527.43
Transfer rate:          274.54 kb/s received

Connnection Times (ms)
              min   avg   max
Connect:        0     3    27
Processing:    18    42   706
Total:         18    45   733

Interesting as I upped the anti (requests and concurrency) Zope stuck to
about 95-100 RPS and Apache started to lower (250-650).

Disclaimer: This was a totally static test and it only shows how fast Zope
can serve up static pages as Apache certainly does not have all the features
of Zope. This is not very scientific just interesting.

Take a look the page linked at the top if you want to have look at some
other tests.