[Zope] ZOPE - Size reduction ???

Nils Kassube lists@kassube.de
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 12:57:59 +0200

Guten Abend.

> Er, this is fine if you're building a new box (and if you're using
> simple IDE drives) but rather less so if you've exceeded the capacity on
> an existing system and/or you're using SCSI drives.

I use Ultra Wide SCSI on my main workstation. Compared to what I had to
pay for a 20 MB HD for my Amiga ten years ago, it is really cheap :-)

Of course, storage is rather expensive if you're held hostage by a
proprietary workstation company with ridiculous pricing for HDs like
e.g. HP.

> heat problems) but you've still got to manage allocation of storage to
> the new drive. If there isn't space then you're talking about adding in
> another box (rather less cheap) or transferring the data from old to new
> - slow and the accountants won't be happy about writing off the old
> one.

I don't know the situation in the Wintel world, but I did this with
Macintosh and Unix systems. I've also always been able to reuse the old
box for different purposes.

To stay on topic with Zope: You don't have to retire the old system,
instead you could use ZEO... =:->

> In addition you have to worry about the cost of the time taken to
> perform any of the above.

Yes, but you also have to consider the opportunity cost. It's not
exactly a productive use of the time of your highly paid developers to
think about things like adhering to disk quotas.

Cheers,
Nils
--
nika@acm.org