[Zope] Should I use ZODB or not ?

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 23:58:57 +0200 (CEST)

Jason Cunliffe writes:
 > I am curious how do you all think LocalFS would perform for such a big
 > multimedia application.?
 > http://www.zope.org/Members/jfarr/Products/LocalFS
In my view, LocalFS is an excellent product. I like it very much.

However, I would not upload and not serve objects with a size
of several hundred megabytes through ZServer (and thereby through
Zope).
As I said in an earlier response, ZServer is at least on
order of magnitude slower with static content than
Apache. This matters, if you transfer big objects!

Recently, there has been some simple benchmarks for
Zope versus Apache performance in this list.
Search the archive (there is a searchable one at NIP)
to get a feeling about the bandwidth.

You may well use LocalFS to view the metadata (id, size, modification time,
...) from Zope, but you should not go through ZServer for upload
and HTTP requests to really large objects.

Dieter