[Zope] Zope hangs from time to time

george.lively@ccpace.com george.lively@ccpace.com
Tue, 03 Apr 2001 15:16:48 -0000

I have Zope 2.2.2 on Windows NT with ProxyPass to a Linux box where
the Apache web server is.  We use the Zope Connector to connect to
Interbase DB also sitting on NT.  From time to time (a few times a
day), Zope hangs.  It doesn't die, but it will hang for a few minutes
at which time no one can connect to the site.  Then after about 5-10
minutes, it will restore itself, and everything will be ok.  If we try
to connect directly to the Apache web server (running off 8080), we
connect to Apache very quickly.  When we look at the NT box during
this time of trouble, mem usage and cpu time look normal.

But here's a twist that perhaps is interesting, perhaps not.  Could be
a coincidence.  But anyhow, we have been running IPCheck for a little
over a week - having that little application hit our server every 60
seconds to see if it's still responding.  When the server does not
respond, a little alarm goes off.  The log from ipcheck shows that
some of the non-responsive times are at times when no one is hitting
the server (except IPCheck).  When I've been around to catch the alarm
recently, I've immediately logged into /manage on Zope.  Each time
I've done this, Zope stops hanging.  And it stops hanging
immediately. Any thoughts?  Is there anything I can do to ensure that
I don't have to log into /manage to stop the hanging?

Thanks.