[Zope] Help: Zope is extremely slow

Peter Sabaini sabaini@niil.at
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 22:48:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Andy McKay wrote:

> > i would say 4 threads is rather little, but that depends on what
> > machine you got, how much RAM, how big your ZODB is etc. we use 20 on
> > a fairly loaded production machine. just experiment a little -- take
>
> Really mind sharing some specs on that? Any problems with so many threads?

oh, not at all. is 20 many? i actually experimented with up to 80 with
no problems.

i'm afraid i can't give you any load numbers or througput rates (its
a little while since i set it up).

the machine is linux/intel pentium 3, 700mhz, 512mb, scsi raid running
kernel 2.2.14. this machine belongs to zope (&apache) and some legacy
data importer. our ZODB is small (~3mb)  since all content is hosted
in oracle, except for images which are served by apache anyway. we
cache zsql queries quite extensively. currently the python process is
about 30mb, i think i've seen it as big as 80mb though. the load avg.
is typically around 0.1 - 0.3, ie. not much.

i arrived at 20 threads simply by experimenting. throughput as
measured by ab on some critical pages seemed to increase until around
20 threads, then there was no difference anymore.

the site receives around 600000 pageviews / month, but we serve via
reverse proxy so zope doesn't get this all.

the only problem we have with the site is that it seems to loose the
oracle connections from time to time, but i do not attribute that to
the number of threads running since i had the thread number on a more
conservative level with the same symptoms.

(apart from the problem that our oracle context engine sucks a little,
but thats another story :))

ru
peter.

peter sabaini, mailto: sabaini@niil.at